Aaron Fryer

Tamdown.

Tamdown, an infrastructure and construction company and my first project in the industry.

Background

Tamdown is a market leading provider of infrastructure, groundwork and reinforced concrete frame services for residential, commercial and public sector developments in London and the South East. Areas of expertise include earthworks, highways and drainage. At the start of my career at Thinking Juice I was tasked with migrating the website from Drupal to WordPress.

Start date: 6th June 2016

End date: 20th June 2016

The project required:

  • A responsive website that works on all devices from desktops to mobiles as the original wasn't.
  • Be a like for like replacement for the existing site.

The Build

When I started at Thinking Juice, I was tasked with moving an old site over to WordPress to bring it to the same standard as the other sites.

I was the only person on this project so I decided how to proceed day to day. The way this project started was to get familiar with the processes, tools and frameworks the development team uses for their projects. In this instance it would be their SASS framework, WordPress and Timber/Twig.

Once I was up to speed on their processes and the tools they used, I could start examining the existing site. This allowed me to workout how many templates I would need and the components of the page that I could reuse.

The next step would be to create the templates that were identified earlier and start hooking them up to the CMS so that I could start putting in the exisiting content on the top level pages. This allowed me to make sure everything lined up correctly on the new build.

To improve the website from the site it would be replacing, the carousel were updated. The carousels on the old website had the text embedded into the image. In this build the carousels allowed the text to be CMSable. This improved the legibility of the text and allowed the carousel to be responsive and could resize without pixelating the text.

The final phase of the project was ensuring the website responded to different screen sizes and widths. This involved breaking the website down at key screen widths. As the existing website wasn't responsive I had to make a design for smaller screens that was very similar to the desktop site. Once this was done we reviewed the website and a few months later we pushed it live.

Highlights

This project helped me get a feel for working in an agency, it also pushed me into new development tools I had never worked with before and broadend my horizons.

Posted in Case Studies on Aug 14, 2016